Fusilli Pasta by Molini del Ponte
Norma Sauce by Tudia
Small red onion
Sicilian Chili Pepper by Filippone
How to Make an Authentic Pasta alla Norma
- Bring to a boil a large pot of water.
- Pour two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil into a pan. Add the thinly sliced onion and some crushed chilli pepper, according to your taste.
- Cook the onion on low flame until soft and translucent.
- When the onion is soft, add the Norma Sauce by Tudìa into the pan and stir well. Cook on low flame for five more minutes, then set aside.
- In the meantime, add salt into the water and cook the Fusilli Pasta by Molini del Ponte following the packaging instructions.
- Drain the pasta al dente and toss it with the tomato and eggplant sauce.
- Just before serving add some grated ricotta salata, then enjoy it.
Tips & Tricks for perfect Fusilli alla Norma
If you want to add extra flavour to your pasta, you can also add some more eggplants: cut into thick slices and sprinkle with coarse salt. After a few minutes rinse the salt off. This procedure serves to eliminate the bitter aftertaste of the aubergine. In a pan heat a generous amount of peanut oil (better for frying). When the oil is hot, fry the aubergines and let them rest on paper towels with a pinch of salt.
If you cannot find ricotta salata, you can substitute it with aged pecorino or Parmigiano Reggiano.